Get Involved — Volunteer!
When adults volunteer, all students benefit! There are many opportunities for parents and community members to get involved! Your help is needed!
Want to volunteer on a PTA committee? Read the descriptions below to see which suits your interests!
Executive Board Members: Attend all PTA Board meetings as a voting member of the Executive Board
President: Presides over all board and general meetings. Serves as member of all committees except Nominating and Reconciliation. Represents Travis in community Refer to bylaws for a complete description of responsibilities.
2021-22 President: Leigh Straughn
1st Vice President: Acts as aide to president. May be called upon at any time to temporarily assume the role of president. Directs the committee chairs listed below. This person should consider becoming president the following year.
2021-22 1st VP: Angela Hunt
1st VP Committees:
- SBDM Liaison: Represents the PTA at the SBDM meetings, communicates areas of overlap, identifies when PTA can help with SBDM agenda items
- Yearbook Team (3 people): Works on yearbook, coordinates with students and faculty
- Beautification/Grounds: Plants seasonal flowers. Helps maintain grounds as needed to keep Travis beautiful
- Grade Level Liaisons (6 people - Grades 4-8 and specials): These faculty positions enable two-way communication between the staff and the board so all are informed about the activities and special needs of both organizations.
2nd VP Membership: Recruits new members year round, collects dues and maintains membership records. Reports membership numbers to Texas PTA in a timely manner. Collects nominations and plans the presentation of the PTA lifetime member awards typically during April or May general meeting. Directs the committee chairs listed below.
2021-22 2nd VP Membership: Rebecca Dodson-Pinkus
2nd VP Membership Committees:
- Assistant VP Membership (1): Assists Membership VP with bookkeeping, tracking membership rolls, and assists directory committee. This person should consider becoming VP Membership in a future year.
- Directory (2): Compiles and inputs student information in online and/or paper directory, as selected by board
- School Tour Guide (2) Host school tours for prospective families (November-January). Helps the staff plan and host Travis Excellence Awards in November. Plans the new student social for incoming students and their families in May.
3rd VP Programs: Arranges general PTA meetings through office and district along with welcoming members to meetings. Enhances Travis community by providing hospitality through greeters, name tags, registration sheets and refreshments. Directs committee chairs listed below.
2021-22 3rd VP Programs: Anjali Datta
3rd VP Programs Committees:
- PTA Meetings (2): This committee is responsible for planning monthly PTA meetings. Tasks include welcoming parents, providing sign-in sheets to record attendance, and other hospitality needs requested by the Board.
- School Picnic (4): This committee is composed of a chair and additional members as determined by the chair. It is responsible for planning, promoting and hosting an annual Fall picnic for all Travis families. Tasks include picking a date, reserving location, handling catering and recruiting volunteers.
- High School Night: (3) This committee is composed of a chair and additional members as determined by the chair. It is responsible for planning, promoting and hosting an annual Fall event that brings DISD high schools to Travis so our students and parents can learn about high school options.
- Parent/Staff Education (2): This committee is responsible for organizing two workshops (one in Fall and one in Spring). These should be training sessions that are led by outside speakers, in coordination with counselors to empower parents with knowledge.
- First Friday Coffees (2): This committee is responsible for providing refreshments and coordinating with counselors to identify topics for discussion.
4th VP Ways & Means: In charge of creating successful ways to finance the work of the PTA. Directs committee chairs listed below.
2021-22 4th VP Ways & Means: Ana Whitcomb
4th VP Ways & Means Committees:
- Treasure Travis (4): Composed of a chair and additional members as determined by the chair. Plans, promotes and executes the Treasure Travis primary annual fundraising campaign. Maintains donation records and provides tax forms to donors. Planning starts in May and the event is held in September.
- Fall Festival Team (8+): Composed of a chair and vice chair and additional members as determined by the chair. Plans, promotes and host our school-wide Fall Festival. Creates publicity for the event. Oversees food, entertainment, merchandise sales, and coordinates grade level games booths and activities. Event is a Friday night in October before Halloween.
- School Supplies (2 people): Solicits orders from parents in April & May for school supplies for following school year. Manages orders and distribution of school supplies to classrooms in August. Works with staff to get the supply list ready in Jan/Feb for the next school year and the incoming team.
- Incentives (1): Plans and implement box top collection program and AmazonSmile, and identifies additional sources of income through retail loyalty programs and other initiatives that benefit schools and nonprofits.
- Spirit Wear Team (3+): Composed of a chair and additional members as determined by the chair. Determines what Spirit Wear, gear, accessories and other school-related products to offer. Orders and manages inventory and sells products at PTA sponsored events throughout the year.
- Winter/Spring Social(s)(2+): Organizes parent-staff social events
- Grants: Researches and applies for grants
5th VP Communications: In charge of communicating the activities of the PTA to its members. Works closely with VP of Programs and VP of Ways & Means to help guide and provide PR for their events. Directs the committee chairs listed below.
2021-22 5th VP Communications: Alyson Black
5th VP Communications Committees:
- Website: Maintains PTA website. Works closely with social media and Wolftracks to ensure information is distributed across all mediums. Works with Ways & Means, Student Activities and Staff Appreciation to make event information and sign-ups available online.
- Public Relations/Community Relations: Solicits and promotes student and staff accomplishments to the school community, DISD and the neighborhood.
- Social Media (4-6): Volunteers to monitor grade-level pages, Travis Wolfpack page and Travis PTA page; manages Travis Twitter account to send out Travis news, schedules and alerts, and other information relevant to the Travis community
- Marquee: Updates the school marquee on a weekly basis
- Wolftracks (2 people): Solicits content, creates and distributes the school e-newsletter
- Bulletin Board: Updates the PTA bulletin board beginning with the new school year in August and throughout the year works to maintain the bulletin board with current PTA information.
- First Day Packet: Works with President to compile and create first day informational packets
6th VP Student Activities: In charge of creating successful student activities sponsored by the PTA. Directs the committee chairs listed below.
2021-22 6th VP Student Activities: Lulu Tucker
6th VP Student Activities Committees:
- Student Involvement Team (4 people): Promotes student involvement in PTA sponsored events such as the Arts in Education/Reflections competition, Destination Imagination, Service Project, White Rock Games and any new events selected by team. Plans and implements the school-wide community service project in Spring.
- Fab Fridays Team (2-4 people per grades 4th, 5th & 6th): Coordinates with staff. Plans speakers and activities for Fab Fridays, which are attended by 4th, 5th & 6th grades. Fab Fridays occur 4-5 times a year.
- Grade Level Activity Reps (3 per grade): Promote parent involvement in PTA sponsored events throughout the year. Work with teachers to plan and host grade level activities on campus. Provide parent volunteers to meet teacher requests. Create a sense of community among families. Notify parents of teacher birthdays and holiday wishes. Grade level parents will create sub-teams as needed for events such as Fall Festival, 7th & 8th Grade Dance, Field Days, Grade Level Events.
- After-School Program Liaison: Works with principal and staff after-school lead to assist their efforts.
7th VP Staff Appreciation: In charge of creating successful staff appreciation events. Directs the committee chairs listed below.
2021-22 7th VP Staff Appreciation: Megan Moates
7th VP Staff Appreciation Committees:
- Secret Pal Coordinator: Collects information on each teacher at the beginning of the year and then assigns a member to secretly give monthly appreciation to their Secret Pal. Coordinates a reveal event at the end of the year.
- Welcome Back to School Breakfast: Plan and host the Back to School Breakfast for teachers and staff the week before school starts.
- Parent Teacher Conferences: Provides the after school take-and-go meal for teachers the day of Parent Teacher Conferences Fall & Spring.
- New Year's Breakfast: Plan and host a breakfast for teachers and staff on the day they return from Winter break.
- Teacher Appreciation Week: Hosts and plans fun activities for parents and students to do in order to show their appreciation for their teachers each day of the first week in May.
8th VP Volunteers: In charge of planning, promoting and hosting the volunteer orientation/ training for parents in September and the Volunteer Appreciation Breakfast at the end of the year. Maintains volunteer hours records. Works with the committee chairs and grade-level reps to secure volunteers as needed for PTA sponsored events.
2021-22 8th VP Volunteers: Bridget Shippey
- Volunteer Recruitment/Hours Assistant: Work with committee chairs and grade-level reps to secure volunteers as needed for PTA sponsored events. May use online systems such as VOLY, Sign-Up Genius or My School Anywhere.
Recording Secretary: Attends and takes minutes at all PTA Board and PTA General Meetings. Types, copies and distributes minutes at meetings. The secretary keeps accurate records of PTA proceedings and compiles the annual summary of the PTA's accomplishments for the May meeting.
2021-22 Secretary: Sharon Mayes
Treasurer: Accounting/bookkeeping experience preferred but not required. Handles and reports on the organization's funds. Writes checks, balances accounts, keeps ledgers for all committees using organization’s accounting software, and coordinates disbursements with the president. Creates budget in conjunction with Officers and committee Chairs. Prepares the books for the tax accountant to prepare the tax return. Submits books to Reconciliation Committee. Directs the Budget Committee and Teacher Wish List Committee.
2021-22 Treasurer: Lauren Sacha
- Assistant Treasurer (1): Assists Treasurer with bookkeeping and managing/balancing accounts. Serves on the Budget Committee. This person should consider becoming Treasurer in a future year.
- Wish List Committee: This committee shall be composed of a chair, a vice chair, and additional members as determined by the chair. Responsibilities include explaining the Wish List process to faculty and staff, providing instructions and request forms to faculty and staff, evaluating requests, notifying faculty and staff whether requests have been granted, advising faculty and staff on how to obtain reimbursement from PTA or how to obtain a check to the vendor from PTA, as applicable.
Parliamentarian (Appointed): Provides assistance to board members as needed. Ensures use of parliamentary procedure during meetings. Updates bylaws and standing rules when necessary.
2021-22 Parliamentarian: Ami Edge
- Tuesday, May 17
- Wednesday, May 18
- Thursday, May 19
- Friday, May 20
- Sunday, May 22
- Monday, May 23
- Tuesday, May 24
- Wednesday, May 25
- Thursday, May 26
- Friday, May 27
- Monday, May 30
- Tuesday, May 31
- Friday, August 12
- Monday, September 19